Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A light, refreshing alternative to heavy, mayo-laden potato salads.
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 5 lbs new potatoes or 5 lbs creamer potatoes or 5 lbs other small potatoes
- 6 -10 scallions, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- Bring a large wide pan of salted water to a boil, and add potatoes.
- Boil until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, cut in two, and place in a large bowl.
- Add scallions, and toss gently to mix.
- Return dry potato pan to medium heat, and add oil and bacon.
- Cook bacon until very crisp, and transfer to paper towels.
- Add mustard seeds to bacon fat in pan.
- After a few moments, they will begin to pop.
- Immediately turn off heat, and add vinegar, garkic, and potato mixture.
- Toss together, then transfer back into bowl.
- Cover salad with plastic wrap, and allow to rest at room temperature for about an hour.
- To serve, transfer to a serving bowl, and crumble crispy bacon on top.