Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a 'Boulangere Potato" dish. It is thinly sliced potatoes baked with garlic and liquid stock. For a gluten-free diet ensure that the stock used is gluten free- I use Massell brand (it's also lactose free and suitable for vegans). A variation on the dish is after cooking sprinkle with some grated light cheese and grill or return to the oven until the cheese melts. Alternatively you can use sliced kumara or a mix of potato and kumara
- 1 kg potato
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or you can use bottled minced garlic)
- 400 ml chicken stock or 400 ml vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to moderately hot 200°C (400°F ) and thoroughly grease a one litre gratin dish or similar size baking dish.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Arrange the potatoes in the base of the dish- overlap them and arrange evenly. Add a little crushed garlic and season with salt and pepper whilst layering the potatoes.
- Pour over the stock and bake uncovered for one hour, or until the potato is tender and the top crisp and brown.
- Variation- sprinkle with a grated cheese and either grill or return to the oven until the cheese has melted.
- For Vegetarian option omit the chicken broth.
This gets 4 stars because the family was split on it. I tripled the garlic and 2 of us liked the dish, while the other 2 still found it too bland. Nice, easy and healthy. Made for ZWT 7 - Food.Commandoes
So easy and delicious! We added a couple pats of butter, knowing that Dr. Oz says you need some fat to satisfy! And satisfy this did! Loved it! Thanks, **Jubes**! Made for ZWT5, Kitchen Witches.
Just goes to show vastly different perspectives - this was a keeper in my book, and also my BF's by special request. I asked him how it was, and he said is there more? I did take a hint from the last reviewer, and used a little more veggie broth and a little less potato. As a result, there was liquid left on the bottom of the dish which didn't bother me a bit. Might just go with the original recipe next time. Also, I did add about 1 oz. of low fat white cheddar at the end. Going into my favorites cookbook. Had an outstanding low fat dinner with this and recipe#338177:) Thanks so much Jubes!