Recipe by jonesies
Awesome pesto recipe using NO oil. It is extremely flavorful and freezes well. Gets its zing from nice amount of garlic and lemon juice. Can be served over pasta, or as a sauce for beef, shrimp, etc. Give it a try!!
Top Review by Keee
Can't quite compare to oil pesto, but this is a fantastic low-fat low-cal version! I used parmesan cheese and pine nuts instead of the romano and walnuts and it still turned out great. Does taste a little lemony, which didn't bother me but my boyfriend thought it was too sour.
- 4 ounces romano cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 2⁄3 cups fresh basil, loosely packed
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In food processor, combine romano cheese and garlic; cover and process for 30 seconds.
- Add the basil, nuts, salt and pepper; cover and process until combined, about 15 seconds.
- While processing, add the lemon juice, process about 15 seconds longer or untl combined.
- Toss with pasta or serve as compliment to beef, chicken or seafood.