Recipe by ChipotleChick
A distinctive filling dish full of flavor with only 4.1g fat per serving! Most of the prep and cooking are done at the same time.
Top Review by lamb2112
Omitted wine and nutmeg.
Cubed rather than shredded my chicken.
Added a bit extra red pepper flakes.
Really liked the cream sauce from evaporated milk. I don't keep heavy cream on hand which is called for in other similar recipes and this worked really well.
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, to taste (preferably packed in cellophane)
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 6 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped fresh baby mushrooms or 1 1⁄4 cups portabella mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup fresh peas or 1⁄2 cup thawed frozen peas, to taste
- 8 ounces dry penne pasta
- cooking spray
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 12 ounces evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 5 black olives, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- If using cellophane wrapped sundried tomatoes, reconstitute in a small bowl with the boiling water.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil while cooking the rest of the recipe.
- Place the chicken and wine in a shallow baking dish, and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Shred chicken and reserve cooking juices.
- Drain the sundried tomatoes and chop them fine.
- Pour the chicken cooking juices into a small saucepan.
- Add the shallot, mushrooms, peas, and tomatoes.
- Saute on low a few minutes until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are wilted.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Cover to keep veggies warm.
- Add Penne to the boiling water and cook to desired consistency, 8-10 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, preheat a heavy small saucepan on medium for 1 minute, then coat twice with cooking spray.
- Add garlic and flour, then whisk in evaporated skim milk.
- Add the nutmeg and red pepper flakes.
- Whisk constantly and bring to a boil.
- Continue to cook another 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and add basil.
- Drain cooked pasta and place in a large bowl.
- Add chicken, veggies, and sauce.
- Toss and garnish with black olives.