This is a great recipe with surprisingly allot of flavor to it. The peaches make it really fresh and the cake is really light and fluffy. Oh it is just sooo good!
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 3⁄4 cup no sugar sugar substitute (such as Splenda or One Spoon)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup egg white, at room temperature (whites of 4 large eggs or use refrigerated egg whites)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups no sugar fat-free whipped topping
- 1 lb fresh peach, peeled and sliced thin,then covered with water and
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, until ready to use
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray.
- Place the flour, sugar substitute, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the middle.
- Beat together oil, egg yolk, egg substitute, water, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Pour into flour mixture and blend well.
- In a large bowl, combine the 1 egg white with the additional 1/2 cup.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until the whites have stiff peaks.
- Gently fold into the flour mixture Place in the prepared cake pan and bake 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn out onto rack to cool completely Using a serrated knife, slice the cake in half horizontally.
- Cover with 3/4 of the whipped topping.
- Place the peaches, leaving a few slices for decoration, on top and cover with top of cake.
- Decorate the center of the cake with rosettes of whipped topping and decorate with remaining peach slices.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
this is the best. Highly recommend
I love this recipe. I use whatever fruit is seasonally available or is appropriate for the occasion (like blueberries and raspberries for a 4th of July cake). I use either sugar or Splenda, depending on my audience. Both work just fine. The cake is super light and the fresh fruit is the perfect touch. I also use different toppings such as chocolate mousse (usually Dream Whip with pudding mix added) if I want something different.
This was delicious! It is such a light 'airy' cake ... great for summertime heat .. Easy to make.. Was done for me in about 25 minutes. I did substitute regular sugar for the sugar substitute. I just don't buy that stuff except in little packets for my coffee :) That , and I think my decoration job wasn't the same as described! *LOL* Very good cake and we'll definitely be having it again! Thanks for posting!!