Recipe by Dee514
This is a variation of the traditional "dark" fruitcakes. The "light" in the title refers to the color of the cake, not its calorie content ;)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 1⁄4 cups eggs (about 9)
- 2 1⁄2 cups candied cherries, cut in half (about 1 pound)
- 3 cups golden raisins (1 15-ounce package)
- 2 cups candied pineapple, cut into chunks (3/4 pound)
- 2⁄3 cup candied citron peel, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup candied orange peel, coarsely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1 (4 ounce) can flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups blanched whole almonds
- 2 cups pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 275°F.
- Line 2 9x5x3 inch loaf pans with foil, and grease.
- Put all ingredients (except fruits and nuts) in a large mixer bowl.
- Mix for 1/2 minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat for 3 minutes on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in fruits and nuts.
- Spread mixture evenly in pans.
- Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- If cakes start to get too brown, cover the top with aluminum foil for the last hour of baking.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.
- When cool, wrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil and store in a cool place for 3-4 weeks (to mellow) before serving.