Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Oatmeal Scotches are a family favorite in my house. I wanted to create a lighter recipe so I could enjoy as well. I reduce the amount of butter by half, but could try using 1 full cup of applesauce.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute, plus
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 (12 ounce) package butterscotch chips
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Grease cookie sheets, or a 9x13 cake pan.
- Combine the first five ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine egg whites, butter, apple sauce, and sugars in large mixing bowl.
- Mixing with hand held mixer or with wooden spoon til incorporated. Mix should resemble sand.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to creamed mix until mixed together.
- Stir in butterscotch chips.
- Drop by teaspoon on sheets. Placed 2 inches apart. Bake 8-10 minutes or til edges golden brown. If baking bar version, bake 20-25 minutes, or til center is set.
- Cool completely on wire rack.