Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
The original recipe was from the Best of Bridges book... Here is how you health it up! This is so delicious... I hope you enjoy it too! Note: Cooking time doesn't include refrigeration. NOTE: THE PHOTO I posted is with the recipe being made with 6 cups of enriched white bread instead of half white and half whole wheat.
- 3 cups white bread, crustless and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups whole wheat bread, crustless, seedless, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 -6 ounces fat free cream cheese, cut into pieces (could add some fruit)
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- Grease an 8x8 pan.
- take 1 1/2 cups of the white bread and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread and, alternating, line the bottom of the pan and continue layering until used up (about 2 layers), pressing down and condensing the bread against the pan.
- Dot the cream cheese/fruit over the bread layers, squishing cheese/fruit down slightly.
- Cover with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of white bread and the remaining 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat bread, again alternating so the two types of bread are spread around, again pressing down to create an even top layer.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over bread and cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove plastic wrap and bake in oven for 45 minutes that has been preheated to 375°F.
- Serve immediately with additional maple syrup. Refrigerate the leftovers.