1/3 Photos of Light 'n' Fluffy Scones
These can have many variations -- you can make them with raisins to go with your tea or with sundried tomatoes and feta for a mediterranean feel that goes nicely with soup. I often make them to use up milk that's on the verge of going bad. If you don't have self-raising flour, use all-purpose and add an extra tablespoon of baking powder.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 350 g self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 50 g butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 300 ml milk
- 1/2 cup flour, for kneading
- 1 beaten egg, to glaze
- 150 g raisins
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 200 C, 220 C in a fan oven or gas mark 7.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 3Rub in the butter and oil until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- 4Add the raisins or the mediterranean filling.
- 5Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk.
- 6Mix with knife, using a cutting movement, until it becomes soft.
- 7The dough will be very sticky.
- 8Flour your counter well along with your hands and scrape the dough onto the floured surface.
- 9Knead very lightly to help work some of the flour into the dough, while shaping it into a round about 3cm thick.
- 10The"kneading" shouldn't take more than a minute and the dough will still be sticky when you cut it.
- 11Cut into 8 wedges and place on a greased baking sheet.
- 12Brush with the beaten egg and bake for 15-20 minutes until risen, golden and springy to the touch.
- 13Cool and then cover with a tea towel or put in a tupperware container to keep them soft for 2-3 days.
- 14These are delicious served warm with butter.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light 'n' Fluffy Scones
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.7
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 1059.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 9.8 g