Recipe by Erica Vasta
The tart flavour of rhubarb is delightfully complimented by brown sugar. A 'MUST' for afternoon tea!
Top Review by angelina ballerina
Really tasty and easy.... The topping's sweetness nicely compliments the tartness of the rhubarb. Very moist and light. Only comment would be that some parts of the recipe could have more explanation. For example, how to prepare muffin tins etc., for those not experienced with baking.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour (I use whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk (or regular milk with 1 tsp of vinegar or lemon juice that has sat for about 3 minutes)
- 1⁄2 chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 400.
- Mix topping ingredients.
- Mix muffin ingredients and fill muffin tin (You can make 12 larger muffins or 18 smaller ones. To avoid a mess of overflowed muffins, try the larger quantity to see how the recipe works out for you and adjust accordingly.)
- sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.