That is Dr House to you's Note:
This is a highly seasoned Broth to cook your setian in. It is Ken Charney's recipe and he uses it with his basic dough recipe which is posted to Zaar. Search his name. You can use with other raw doughs also. It is going to remind you of Chicken broth/soup. This will do one batch of his dough
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons unrefined unbleached cane sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs uncooked seitan
- 1In large pot place everything except the Seitan. Bring to a boil. Place wrapped [or not] Setian in pot and reduce heat to simmer. Partially cover pot with lid and cook for an hour.
- 2Use tongs and turn seitan over so all sides get exposed to broth. Cook for another hour to hour and half.
- 3The longer you cook, the firmer it is. You can remove at any point after 1 1/2 hours total and unwrap [if you wrapped] to check taste and firmness to decide if you want to keep cooking.
- 4IF the liquid has evaporated and more than half the seitan is exposed, add additional stock, about 1 to 2 cups.
- 5Cool, remove wrap [if wrapped], slice into rounds 1/2 inch thick or cut into shapes desired. Proceed with other recipes.
- 6It will be firm after this but will continue to firm up overnight.
- 7To store: Use refrigerator. Immerse completely in braising liquid and keep well sealed. It will keep up to 3 days this way.
- 8Again NOTE: THIS IS THE BROTH RECIPE TO CREATE THE TASTE IN SEITAN. This recipe made up would be used for chicken flavors such as Ken Pow Seitan with Asparagus. Note it is not going to be an exact chicken taste. That would take real chicken broth.
Browse Our Top Vegan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light Meat Seitan
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.1
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 595.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Braggs liquid aminos
white wine vinegar