1/1 Photo of Light Macaroni and Cheese with Spinach
This updated recipe illustrates how you can lower the saturated fat, without sacrificing the rich, cheesy taste, in classic macaroni and cheese. A layer of spinach in the center adds flavor and nutritional value. From Cooking Club
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 400F.
- 2Spray 8" square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3In small bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of the milk and flour until smooth.
- 4In heavy medium saucepan, heat remaining 1 1/2 cups milk over medium heat until steaming.
- 5Add flour mixture; cook 2-3 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens, whisking constantly.
- 6Remove from heat; stir in cheddar cheese until melted.
- 7Stir in cottage cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 8Cook spinach according to package directions; drain.
- 9Rinse under cold running water; squeeze out excess moisture.
- 10Cook macaroni in large pot of boiling lightly salted water 4-5 minutes or until not quite tender, stirring often.
- 11(Macaroni will continue to cook while baking.) Drain; rinse with cold water.
- 12Drain again.
- 13In large bowl, stir together cheese sauce and macaroni.
- 14Spread half of the macaroni mixture in baking dish; spoon spinach over top.
- 15Spread remaining macaroni mixture over spinach layer; sprinkle with wheat germ.
- 16(Dish can be made to this point and refrigerated for 2 days or frozen for 2 months. Thaw in refrigerator before baking.) Bake 35-45 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- 17TIP*If you can't find wheat germ, substitute an equal amount of Parmesan cheese, cracker crumbs or bread crumbs.
- 18VARIATION: To make Southwestern Macaroni and Cheese with Peppers, substitute 1 cup grated pepper Jack cheese for 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- 19Omit the nutmeg.
- 20Add 1 (4 1/2-oz.) can chopped mild green chiles, 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro and dash cayenne pepper to cheese sauce.
- 21Omit spinach.
- 22Instead, cook 2 cups thawed frozen pepper stir-fry vegetables in 1 teaspoon olive oil 3 to 4 minutes or until tender.
- 23Replace spinach with pepper mixture.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light Macaroni and Cheese with Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.5
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 53.5 mg
- Sodium 664.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 26.4 g