Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are wonderful Low-fat treats you can feel good about eating or feeding to your family! Note: If you want a sweet crust and crumble add more brown sugar. The crust is slightly sweet, but not that usual, cloying sweet. Add closer to 3/4 cup. Also, for the margarine, notice the note i wrote with the ingrediant. That is the nutrition info for the margarine i used, Becel Light, and if you use anything lower calorie/ fat from that I believe it will change the outcome. Anything higher calorie should just make it nice and buttery-tasting.
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 236.59 ml quick-cooking rolled oats
- 158.51 ml firmly packed brown sugar (See Note Above)
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml reduced fat margarine, softened (Non Hydrogenated, NO LESS THAN ( 35 calories, 4 grams fat, and 0.5 grams sat. fat PER 2 tsp.)
- 24.64 ml unsweetened applesauce
- butterscotch extract, to taste (optional)
- 158.51 ml caramel topping (I use smuckers fat-free)
- 24.64 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 44.37 ml chopped toasted walnuts or 44.37 ml chopped toasted pecans
- Heat oven to 350F, and grease 8x8 inch pan.
- In large bowl, blend all crust ingredients at low speed until crumbly.
- Press half of crumb mixture into the bottom of the greased pan, reserving the remaining crumb mixture for topping.
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in smaller bowl combine caramel topping and 5 teaspoons flour then set aside.
- Sprinkle warm crust with chocolate chips and nuts.
- Pour caramel mixture evenly over chocolate and nuts, then sprinkle overtop with reserved crumb mixture.
- Put back in oven and bake an additional 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Refrigerate 1 1/2-2 hours or until filling is set, and serve at room temperature.