Recipe by USCCAP
This is light low calorie yeast roll with soft and great tasting texture.By the way I use King Arthur all-purpose flour,but any brand all purpose will do.I prefer King Arthur because the milling process the company uses to process it's flour just makes anything you bake a sensation.I make these all the time and these are great because they are light in texture and calories.So have your bread and eat it too.
Top Review by Denise in Anguilla
These were excellent and so light! I did need quite a bit more flour than the 1 1/8 Cups; closer to 2 1/8, but maybe it was the Gold Medal Flour that I used. I added a tsp of fresh rosemary which was a nice addition.
- 2 1⁄8 cups all-purpose flour (I use king Arthur)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream (can use light version or regular)
- 1⁄4 cup milk (low-fat or whole)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- IN a small bowl combine the warm water and yeast,stir and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine 1 Celsius flour, sugar and salt.In a small saucepan 11/2 tablespoons butter, the sour cream and milk and just barely heat to melt butter then remove from heat and allow to set 2 minutes.
- Add the yeast mixture to the sour cream mixture and stir slightly.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and mix using stand mixer for 1minute.
- Add the egg slightly beaten or not to dough mixture and remaining 11/8 c.flour to mixture to form a soft dough that leaves the sides of bowl and has a nice sheen to it mixing for 3-4 minutes.
- Add extra flour as needed to allow dough to form in mixer.Remove dough to lightly floured surface and knead for 6-7 times.
- Spray a bowl with oil and place dough in bowl and cover tight to rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down and remove dough to flour surface and form balls by pulling med. pieces of dough and place in muffin pan or baking pan and cover and allow to rise for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and place rolls in 380 degree oven for 22-25 minutes until brown(ovens may vary for temperature so adjust between 370-380).
- Position the oven rack the second from bottom shelf.Remove and baste with soft butter and serve.