Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
From Cooking Light a long time ago. I lost my hard drive and want to save this for the future. I make this for my family and friends and they don't know it's light. The original recipe called for non fat cottage cheese and non fat ricotta, but I use low fat and part skim, they taste better to me. I also use the oven ready lasagna noodles, which weren't in existence back then. Trust me, you'll never miss the mozzerella cheese, the provolone is so much more flavorful.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped and divided
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained & chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, shredded approxomately 2 cups
- cook meat in a large saucepan over medium heat untilbrowned, stirring to crumble; drain and set aside. Wipe pan with a paper towel.
- Coat pan with cooking spray; add onion and garlic, and saute for 5 minutes. Return meat to pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons parsley and next seven ingredients; bring to boil. Cover reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Uncover; simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine 2 tablespoons parsley, cottage cheese and next 3 ingredients on a large bowl; stir well, and set aside.
- Spread 3/4 cup tomato mixture in bottom of a 13x9 pan coated with cooking spray.
- Arrange 4 noodles over tomato mixture; top with half of cottage cheese mixture, 2 1/4 cups tomato mixture, and 2/3 cup provolone.
- Repeat layers ending with noodles. spread remaining tomato mixture over noodles. cover, bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle with remaining provolone; bake, uncovered, for ten minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with oregano, if deisred.