Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my adaptation of several orzo salad recipes. It's a wonderful summer side dish to accompany grilled foods. I let it chill for only 1 hour but I bet the flavors will meld even better given longer chilling time.
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon tbsps chicken bouillon (I used low sodium)
- 1 medium lemon, rind of
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 8 kalamata olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 large cucumber, peeled seeded and diced
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ken's northern light Italian dressing
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese (or more to taste)
- salt & pepper
- Add bouillon to pasta water and bring to a boil.
- Add orzo and lemon rind and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Strain and rinse gently with cold water and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, saute the garlic and onion in a small pan over medium-low heat until soft then set aside for next step.
- In a mixing bowl combine the chopped herbs, cucumber, onion and garlic saute, olives, roasted red pepper, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Add Orzo, dressing and feta cheese, stir well.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, a few hours if time permits.
Enjoyed! Light, Refreshing crisp and flavorful! I used veggie bouillon. Used fresh red bell pepper in place of the roasted. Topped my salad with feta and olives(DH and DS do not enjoy them). For the dressing I used Recipe #284322 adding some fresh lemon juice Making this light and garlicky! Thanks for the good eats!