Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is from the December 26, 2007 food section of the Houston Chronicle.Start this the night before you plan to serve it, as it must be refrigerated overnight.
- 2 (1 lb) bagsfrozen peach slices (unsweetened, not in syrup)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar substitute (Splenda)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 16 ounces whole grain cinnamon-raisin bread (Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain with Cinnamon and Raisins)
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg substitute (Eggbeaters)
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Combine the frozen peaches, 1/2 cup water, Splenda and cornstarch in a saucepan and cook over low to medium heat, stirring often, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Lightly coat a 9X13 inch baking dish with cooking spray (Pam).
- Put half the peach sauce in a storage container and refrigerate it.
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with the other half and scatter the bread cubes on top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the Egg Beaters,milk,vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes evenly.
- Tamp down the bread cubes with a spatula to thoroughly soak each piece in the egg mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, slide the dish into a cold oven with the foil on; turn oven on to 350 degrees.
- After baking for 25 minutes, remove the foil and bake for 20 more minutes.
- While the casserole is baking. warm up the other half of the peach sauce in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove.
- Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Top each serving with a generous spoonful of warm peach sauce and serve.
I took this to a women's retreat - so you know I had opinions to be heard! We all loved it! I made the peach sauce ahead of time and then finished it at the cabin with no problems. I used Kroger cinnamon/raisin bread, and almond milk, but those were my only subs. It was really good. My only addition, was some people wanted that "something sweet" on top. I had some peach syrup (find it with the specialty foods) for those people. YUM!
Nice, easy to make , breakfast for those watching their weight. It was enjoyed by all. Thanks!