Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a much healthier version of pasta carbonara.
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb fresh fettuccine
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Slice bacon into 1 inch long and 1/4inch thick strips.
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until light brown.
- Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In a blender process the cottage cheese, milk, egg substitute and salt until smooth.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until just barely tender.
- Drain well and return to the pot.
- Add the cheese mixture, bacon and pepper to the pasta and cook over med-low heat, stirring continually until sauce is heated through--do not boil--about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a warmed serving bowl, and serve immediately, sprinkling with the parmesan cheese.
This was good and lighter than a traditional carbonara. Very filling. I added some sliced fresh mushrooms that I sauted with the bacon. Next time I'll add a little garlic too. I used dried angel hair pasta as the base. It's a little hard to mix in with the pasta (the bacon & mushrooms want to sink to the bottom of the bowl) but that was the only difficulty I had. Thanks!