Recipe by JessHinkson
I found this recipe when I was looking for a way to use up leftover ham and lots of broccoli in one fell swoop. Delicious, quick, and optionally healthy, this makes an appearance about once a month in our house. Adapted from About.com's Southern Food site, originally written by Diana Rattray.
- 4 ounces medium noodles
- 10 ounces fresh broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups ham, cooked and diced
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook noodles to al dente, drain, and set aside.
- Microwave broccoli in 1 tbs water until just tender but still crunchy.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter and then whisk in flour, salt, mustard, and pepper. Whisk until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk, stirring until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
- Butter 8-inch square baking dish. Add noodles, ham, and broccoli, then pour cheese sauce on top. Sprinkle top with almonds.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.