Recipe by awalde
This eggplant and or zucchini parmigiana is a fat reduced version and easy version. The main change is insteat of frying the vegetables you roast them in the oven. This procedure takes some time, but you avoid to soak everything with a lot of oil. I prepare always a big portion as I freeze the rest!
Top Review by **Jubes**
Reviewed for Aus/NZ Forum March 2013 recipe swap (for a team member who has dropped out of the game).I really enjoyed this lightened version of eggplant parmigiana and it was great that it was already gluten-free as written. Sorry that I didn't get a photo
- 4 lbs eggplants (and or or zucchniniI)
- salt to spread over eggplant
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced (4% fat, if you don't have you can use the normal one)
- 1 cup parmigiano, grated
- 3 cups marinara sauce (if possible with basilicum and oregano)
- 1 teaspoon basilicum pesto sauce (substitute basilicum fresh or dry)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice you eggplants or zucchini in 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place eggplants in a big bowl and spread salt on them. Stir to coat them well. After 30 minutes rinse them and press out the water. This step is not necessary for zucchini.
- Turn on your oven to high broil.
- Coat with oil the eggplants or zucchini in the bowl with your hands.
- Place one layer of eggplants or zucchini on your baking try (I use a silicon map for this as it is easier to clean) and broil on both sides until they change the color to light brown. Repeat with all vegetables.
- Place your vegetables slightly vertical in your mold (I use a 10-8 inch one) and place mozzarella in between (see photo).
- Spread parmesan on it and press some cheese between the layers.
- Mix marinara sauce, oregano and pesto together and top everything with marinara sauce.
- Bake 30 minutes 350°F/180°C.
- This is usually served warm but in summer it is delicious cold with some bread!