Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
An easy biscuit-style dough from America's Test Kitchen. These are delicious and great when you are a little bit shorter on time!
- 1⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar (2 1/3 oz)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons light cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with a foil sling and spray with vegetable oil spray.
- For the Filling: Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- For the Dough: Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter together. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until the dough comes together but looks shaggy, about 30 seconds. Transfer the dough to a floured counter and knead until just smooth and no longer shaggy, about 30 seconds.
- Pat the dough into a 12 by 9-inch rectangle with the long side facing you. brush the dough with the remaining tablespoon melted butter, then sprinkle the sugar mixture over it, leaving a 1/2 inch border along the top edge. Press on the filling to adhere it to the dough.
- Loosen the dough from the counter using a bench scraper (or metal spatula), and roll the dough into a tight log. Pinch the seam closed and roll the log seam side down. Pat the ends to even them and slice the cylinder into 9 evenly sized rolls with a serrated knife. Slightly flatten each piece of dough to seal the open edges and keep the filling in place.
- Arrange the rolls cut side down in the prepared baking pan. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for about 12 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the edges of the rolls are golden brown, 12-14 minutes longer. Flip the rolls out onto a wire rack set over a sheet of parchment paper (for easy cleanup), remove the foil sling, and let cool for 5 minutes.
- For the Glaze: Whisk the confectioners' sugar, cream cheese and buttermilk together in a medium bowl until smooth. Flip the rolls upright, drizzle with the glaze, and serve.
It was my first time making scratch cinnamon rolls and they turned out great! Only made one change - omitted the cloves since we have some clove haters... Made for PAC Spring '12