Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I finally found a recipe for waffles that stay crispy on the outside, yet soft on the inside. I found this at finecooking.com
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 200°F and heat the waffle iron.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Measure the buttermilk, milk, and vegetable oil in a Pyrex measuring cup; mix in the egg yolk and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg white almost to soft peaks. Sprinkle in the sugar and continue to beat until the peaks are firm and glossy. Beat in the vanilla.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until just mixed.
- Drop the whipped egg white onto the batter in dollops and fold in with a spatula until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook until the waffle is crisp and nutty brown (follow the manufacturer's instructions for timing at first and then adjust to your liking).
- Set the waffle directly on the oven rack to keep it warm and crisp.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, holding the waffles in the oven (don't stack them).
Perfect for 28th anniversary breakfast for two (& some to the parrot & dogs)! Perfect Belgian waffles - crispy outside, tender inside & not too much leftover! Total keeper recipe for special occasions. Thanks for posting Jen in Victoria, BC.
Nice. Have to cook them long enough to get the crisp on the outside. I took my first batch out too early and they were floppy.
Wow Jen were these good. I enjoyed them so much. The waffles had great flavor, were crispy on the outside but soft and tender on the inside. So very yummy. I served them with simple icing sugar and a little butter, The sign of a great waffle, when they don't need any sauce or syrup to be wonderful. These waffles really shone. Thanks for sharing a recipe that I will make again. Made for Pac Spring Safari 2013.