Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
tastes like summer but warms you through in the middle of winter when there's precious little fresh veggies to be had. this is just a general outline. would lend itself well to substitutions like more milk or evaporated milk, spaghetti squash instead of pumpkin, change the spices, add more veggies, even brown rice maybe
- 2 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 800 ml canned tomatoes, diced type, not drained (big can)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked pumpkin, frozen, not drained
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat powdered milk
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon basil
- if your pumpkin is still frozen throw it in a big pot with the milk, broth cubes, and half the can of tomatoes, bring to a boil and simmer until the pumpkin is thawed.
- with a potato masher or an immersion blender, mash/blend the pumpkin and tomatoes in, it doesn't have to be perfectly smooth.
- add rest of ingredients and simmer until onions are soft and flavors blended.
- serve with bread and a simple salad.