From "The Best of America's Test Kitchen". Posted for safe-keeping. From the cookbook: "This soup has all the creaminess and richness of regular cream of broccoli soup, but with less than half the calories and a fraction of the fat." Notes: Large head of broccoli = about 1 1/2 lbs. For a vegetarian soup, you can us all vegetable broth (the soup will taste sweeter.) Do not boil the soup once the half-and-half has been added. Boiling will cause the half-and-half to curdle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large head broccoli, cut florets into 1-inch pieces, enough stalks peeled and chopped fine to make 3/4 cup (discard any remaining stalks.)
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1Combine the chopped broccoli stalks, onion, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 2Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the wine with the bay leaf and cook until the wine is absorbed, about 1 minute.
- 3Whisking constantly, gradually add the broths. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until slightly thickened and the broth no longer tastes of flour, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the florets and continue to simmer, uncovered, until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- 5Puree the mixture in a blender (or food processor) until smooth, and return to a clean saucepan. Stir in the half-and-half and cook over low heat until just hot (do not boil), about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light Cream of Broccoli Soup
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.4
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 92.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth