Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These sound really good.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange peel
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup real egg substitute
- 3⁄4 cup craisins dried sweetened cranberries, Ocean Spray
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine first six ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Work butter or margarine into dry ingredients until batter is the size of small peas, using a pastry blender or fork.
- Combine milk, yogurt, and egg substitute in a small mixing bowl.
- Add to dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Stir in sweetened dried cranberries.
- Spread batter into a 9-inch circle on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle top of scones with brown sugar.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove scones from oven and re-cut edges.
These are good, but I must confess I didn't go as light as the recipe calls for. I used 2% milk, lowfat yogurt, and a real egg. Easy to make and tasty! Reviewed for ZWT4.
Yummy! Right off the bat, let me say that I substituted fresh blueberries for the dried cranberries, since the season just started and I can't get enough blueberries! This is a lovely scone recipe, not too sweet at all. The batter comes out rather wet, but baked up beautifully. I used turbinado sugar to coat the tops rather than brown sugar. Made this for the Canadian portion of ZWT4. Thanks, Charlotte!