Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is kind of a chowder, but light and nutritious. It's also dairy-free. Also, it could be turned toward Mexican flavors easily! I sometimes add lentils.
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 3 slices chopped bacon
- 1 large chopped white onion
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 3 chopped parsnips
- 3 chopped carrots
- 1⁄2 head of chopped cauliflower
- 1⁄2 head chopped broccoli
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Cook bacon in a stock pot until crisp. Take bacon out and drain. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the drippings in the stock pot.
- Add the onions to the drippings. Cook until translucent - about 5 minutes. Add frozen corn, carrots, parsnips, cauliflower, and broccoli. Cook while stirring for 2 minutes, then add the bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, and stock. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a separate pan, sauté the red pepper in water over medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add garlic. When garlic is fragrant, add creamed corn. Cook while stirring for another minute.
- Add the creamed corn mixture and bacon to the stock pot. Cook for 5 minutes. Serve.