Recipe by Karamia
This moist coffee cake uses whole wheat flour and little oil, but you can't tell that its a healthier version!
Top Review by emily hauer
I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose and I added a teaspoon of vanilla and a couple teaspoons cinnamon to the cake batter. The only problem was there wasn't enough butter to keep the topping together and on top of the cake. I will significantly increase the amount next time I make this.
- 118.29 ml nonfat milk
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 59.14 ml egg substitute or 1 whole egg
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml whole wheat flour
- 118.29 ml white sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml packed brown sugar
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 8 inch or 9 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, oil and egg or egg substitute.
- In another bowl, stir together both flours, white sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry mixture to milk mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour into greased pan.
- Mix together all topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over cake batter.
- Bake for 18-28 minutes, depending on size of pan used. Check with knife near center to see if comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks and store in airtight container.
- NOTE: I used a 9 inch flexible baking mold and it was finished in 18 minutes. It will take longer baking time if using 8 inch pan.