Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This was one of my mothers favorite Christmas cakes. The recipe came from the "Edith Adams Christmas baking" flyer. She was a nutritionist for the Vancouver Province paper in the 40's & 50's
- 1 lb bleached sultana raisins
- 1⁄2 lb red cherries
- 1⁄2 lb green cherries
- 1⁄2 lb blanched almond, slivered
- 1⁄2 lb citrus peel, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 lb candied pineapple, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cardamom, ground
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- Prepare fruit and wash raisins the day before.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Beat until very light.
- Add sifted flour mixed with cardamom and baking powder.
- Add orange juice alternately with the flour a little at a time.
- Dredge fruit with a little extra flour and add to batter.
- Place in 2 loaf pans, lined with brown paper and greased on the inside.
- Bake in 250°F degrees oven 2-3 hours or until done.
I agree this is a very good Christmas cake, I added the juice & zest of 1 lemon and it cuts the sweetness a little and adds a unique taste.