Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
It's a chocolate cake with the health benefits of eating a whole carrot per serving! This low fat makeover of Chocolate Carrot Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing has only 19% of the fat and 14% of the cholesterol, but all of the carrot cake-like texture with coconut and walnuts. To us, this tastes much better than the original which has a strong flavor of vegetable oil. If you think you may be tempted to overindulge, a half recipe fits perfectly in an 8-inch square pan.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar or 3⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 3⁄4 cup sugar or 3⁄4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 2 (1 1/2 ounce) boxes fat-free sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix (Jello 1.4 oz boxes)
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 4 ounces neufchatel cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- CAKE: In a bowl, combine flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and spices; stir in walnuts, raisins and coconut.
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg substitute and sugars; add pudding mix and sour cream; stir in carrots.
- Add flour mixture all at once, mixing just until evenly combined.
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch cake pan with non-fat cooking spray, and line with parchment paper or waxed paper; then spray the paper with non-fat cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake in a 325 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched and cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Let cool.
- TO MAKE ICING: Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat cream cheese and neufchatel cheese until light; gradually beat in the cocoa powder and sugar.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes or until spreadable.
- Spread over the cooled cake.
This cake is aweful. Not even the icing deserves a good review. The cake isn't seasoned anything similar to the original carrot cake. The cake came out extremely heavy, dry, and it tastes like a concoction rather than a recipe. The icing ... The icing made to the instructions tastes like light brown cream cheese icing. In order for the icing to have a mild chocolate flavor, I had to increase the chocolate sauce. Overall, don't waste your time, and don't waste your money on this recipe. Next !