Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Another Nestle treasured recipe. This is great for a special birthday cake, dinner party dessert or just when you'd like to impress your family and friends with a decadent dessert that is lighter in calories and fat. This moist cake has a raspberry filling and topped with a light chocolate glaze. While the cakes are baking make the raspberry filling and the chocolate glaze as both need to refrigerate. While the cakes are cooling the filling and glaze will almost be ready to take out of the fridge. Preparation time includes this refrigeration time needed.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour two 8-inch round pans. In a large mixer bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt with a whisk. Add milk, oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla and beat at high speed 3 minutes. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until a toothpick test comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely on wire rack.
- For Filling: Prepare this as cakes are baking. In a blender or food processor, puree raspberries until smooth. Press through fine sieve to remove seeds. In small saucepan, combine raspberry puree, sugar and cornstarch and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute then remove from heat and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For Glaze: In a small saucepan, combine confectioner's sugar, cocoa, milk and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- To Assemble: After the cakes are cool completely, the filling has refrigerated for one hour and the glaze for 30 minutes, place one cake layer on a serving/cake plate. Spread the raspberry filling on the one cake layer. Top with the second cake layer. Drizzle the chocolate glaze over the top and down the sides of the cake. For a fancier garnish, top/decorate the top with fresh raspberries as desired.