Recipe by ChipotleChick
A great light substitute for one of the best known comfort foods! Great with mashed potatoes made using chicken stock instead of butter. From Better Homes and Gardens: Family Favorites Made Lighter.
Top Review by pitney410
This was really good! I love chicken fried steak, but it doesn't go very well with a low-fat diet. It came out very tender. The breading got soggy and mushy while simmering in the bullion. That's the only reason it didn't get a 5. (I did use onion powder and garlic powder instead of pepper. Personal preference.)
- 12 ounces beef round steak, 3/4 inch thick,trimmed and cut into 4 pieces.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 6 ounces evaporated skim milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together 2 tablespoons flour and pepper.
- Pound into meat with a meat cleaver.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat to medium and brown beef on both sides.
- Drain off fat if needed.
- Add water and boullion to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered 1 1/4 hours until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and keep warm.
- In a bowl, gradually add skim milk to the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Stir into the pan juices.
- Cook until thickened and bubbly, and cook an additional minute.
- Serve over meat.