Recipe by TXOLDHAM
Found this in Family Circle Magazine and I have adapted to lower calories and saturated fat (cholesterol). The original called for full-fat cheese, regular eggs and heavy breading. I have also reduced the amount of olive oil and salt called for. This version uses fresh caprese salad on top.
- 3 large plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 6 ounces reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (4)
- additional basil (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium-size bowl mix tomatoes, mozzarella, 1 tablespoon olive oil, balsamic vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, pepper to taste and chopped basil. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a non-stick skillet and brown salted and peppered chicken on both sides. Continue to cook until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. Turn a few times to avoid burning.
- To serve, spoon caprese salad over each chicken breast and garnish with additional basil as desired.