Recipe by Maito
This is a lightly sweet mild cheesecake-flavored ice cream with all the richness, but with less fat. Cook time includes the time it takes for the ice cream machine to freeze the mixture, but does not include chill time. Thank you to 2Bleu for putting this in her best of 2009 cookbook!
Top Review by PaulaG
This lives up to the intro--lightly sweet and even with the use of low-fat milk the combination of cream cheese and mascarpone cheese creates a rich product. I added some quartered cherries to the mix when adding the crushed graham crackers. If you really want to send this over the top, drizzle it with chocolate syrup when serving. A very nice use of contest ingredients and creation you should be proud of. Made for *Hidden Gems*
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups nonfat milk (or low-fat)
- 4 ounces light cream cheese spread
- 2 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon raspberry jam (or cherry or strawberry)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- 6 low-fat graham crackers, broken into small pieces (3 full sheets)
- 2 cups fresh cherries, stemmed, pitted, and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons sugar to beaten egg yolks. Whisk well.
- In a medium pot, combine remaining 4 tablespoons sugar with milk, and bring almost to a simmer over high to medium-high heat.
- Scoop out a small amount of hot milk to temper the egg yolks (about ¼ cup); slowly whisk into egg yolks. Repeat this one more time.
- Add egg mixture to pot of hot milk and whisk thoroughly. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium to medium low heat until thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 3-5 minutes. Do not let mixture boil. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl (an electric mixer works best), beat cream cheese and mascarpone until well whipped. Add jam, lemon juice, extracts, and Amaretto, and beat to combine. On low speed, gradually beat in hot milk mixture. Cream cheese will not be completely dissolved/smooth – that is OK.
- Let mixture cool before chilling in the refrigerator. This takes about 10 minutes if you place the container in a bowl filled with ice and cold water. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Stir mixture to re-combine and freeze in an ice cream machine, according to manufacturer’s directions. In the last minute or two of freezing, add the graham cracker pieces.
- Serve immediately or freeze for 1-4 hours, if a firmer consistency is desired. Top with cherries (and almonds, if using) and enjoy! This is best eaten the same day you make it.