Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I modified a zucchini pancake recipe to come up with these deliciously nourishing pancakes that are somewhat reminiscent of carrot cake, but a little more healthy. My father found it hard to believe that they contained no butter or oils, and reduced fat milk can also be used if you wish.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, separated
- Preheat a lightly greased skillet or griddle to 425 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, including the grated carrots.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir the egg yolks and vanilla into the milk and then add to the flour mixture.
- Just before cooking, beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff but not dry.
- Fold them into the batter gently.
- For each pancake, cook on the griddle until bubbles appear on the surface and underside is golden, flip, and repeat with other side until all the batter has been used.
- Drizzled with a little honey or classic maple syrup they taste wonderful warm off the skillet!