Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
So a carbonara can't really be light, but I wanted something that didn't feel too heavy, but was really in the mood for a carbonara
- 12 ounces rotini pasta or 12 ounces other pastas
- 1 onion, diced fine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bunches Broccolini or 2 heads broccoli, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb lean bacon or 1⁄2 lb turkey bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tomatoes, chopped small
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Turn on water to boil pasta.
- Shred parmesan using microplane.
- Fry bacon, drain and chop into small pieces.
- Pour off bacon drippings, and add butter, olive oil, salt, nutmeg and chili flakes and cook onions and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Drop pasta in salted boiling water and cook for about 10 minutes
- Add broccolini or broccoli to onions and garlic and cook until pasta is done.
- Drain pasta and add to sauce along with whisked egg and a little pasta water to thin sauce if desired.
- Taste to check salt, but can always add extra parmesan to servings
- Serve with a bit of grated parmesan, drizzle of olive oil and some chopped tomato.