Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A lighter version of a favourite recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 8 -10 slices dry bread
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups milk, scald & cooled
- Melt butter or margarine.
- Break up bread, set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of this mixture for topping.
- Pour melted butter onto the bread crumbs and add the remaining sugar mixture.
- Place the bread mixture in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Beat egg, salt, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Add milk slowly.
- Pour over bread mixture in dish.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle reserved sugar mix on top.
- Bake at 325F for 45 to 50 minutes.
While the flavor was good, I found this recipe to be way too wet even though I baked it for 10 minutes more than called for. I think it would be better with less milk. Others in the family thought it was fine though, so it could be just personal preference. Thanks for sharing.