Recipe by Little Italy
If you like berries, and light desserts, then try this. Its a light spring/summer dessert my teacher gave me... I like to freeze the remaining 1 cup of berries and instead of garnishing the loaf with it, I pour some whipping cream on it as a nice side dish.
- 1⁄3 cup light cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided in two bowls
- 2 egg whites
- 2 lemons, rind of, grated
- 1 cup flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup fat free sour cream
- 3 cups mixed berries, divided (fresh or frozen)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease and flour a 9"x11" cake pan. (grease normally, then toss about 3 tablespoons inside and shake around until all sides are floured, then discard the remaining flour.)
- With an electric mixer beat the cream cheese and half of the sugar together in a large bowl.
- Mix in the egg whites and lemon peel. Then in a separate bowl add 1 cup of the flour and baking soda and mix well.
- Add this to the cream cheese mixture alternately with sour cream, making sure to mix well after each addition.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the cake pan. Then toss 2 cups of the berries with left over 1/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons of flour on top of the batter.
- Now bake it for 40-45 minutes, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Garnish with the remaining cup of berries and dust with icing sugar before serving. You can serve it cold or slightly warm. its a very nice light spring dessert.