Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A nice hearty well seasoned beef-wine sauce to serve over pasta. I generally use Merlot for the wine because that's my favorite and I can serve the rest of the bottle with dinner. Sometimes I add another vegetable if I have one on hand, such as sliced mushrooms, peas or green beans.
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced (1/4" cubes)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 226.79 g lean ground beef
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 453.59 g can no-salt-added whole tomatoes
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 14.79 ml fresh basil
- 14.79 ml fresh oregano
- 1 tap dried marjoram
- 1.23 ml dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- fettuccine or pasta shells, to taste,cooked
- In a large saucepan or skillet, sauté the garlic, onion and green pepper in oil over moderate heat.
- When the vegetables begin to sizzle, crumble the beef into the pan and sauté it, stirring with a wooden spoon, until it begins to brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir and scrape well to deglaze the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, breaking them up with your wooden spoon.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until sauce is thick but still slightly liquid, 20-25 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Spoon over fettucine or shells.
This is great! My red wine of choice was Shiraz. I also used diced tomatoes instead of whole along with dried oregano. Those are my only changes. yummy dish. I used elbow macaroni cuz that's what the dish was crying out for. :) This has a nice touch of sweetness, just what I like!
It IS a GREAT recipe! And one that works for me! Simply delish, EASY to do! Left out the sugar as is found in other ingredients too! THANKS!
I doubled the recipe. I used only 28 ounces can of whole tomatoes. It's so tasty and easy. Thanks Echo Echo :) Made for beverage tag.