Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This makes a very light crispy and tasty all purpose batter for fried zucchini, shrimp or whatever. Makes enough for two lbs. of fish filets plus a bunch of veggies. You can use plain soda or lemon/lime flavor.
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup club soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Mix baking soda, salt, pepper and flour.
- Add melted butter.
- Add egg and lemon juice.
- Add soda. (add more if batter seems too thick.) Batter will be lumpy, but lumps will cook out, so don't over mix.
- Dip fish or vegetables into dry flour first before dipping into batter. This will help batter stick.
- Fry veggies first in hot oil (350 degrees), then fish.
- Drain on paper towels and keep in warm oven while frying.
- Serve with tartar sauce.