Recipe by Wendy Sue
Adapted from several banana bread and muffin recipes, these muffins are big, moist, sweet, with a nice light texture - not too dense despite their banana-bread origins. They are made with significantly less sugar and fat than most muffin or quick bread recipes.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2-3 bananas)
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3⁄4 cup blueberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients, reserving about 1 cup of the flour.
- Add the mashed banana, butter, egg, and egg white. Beat on low speed or by hand just until blended.
- Add the remaining flour and milk. Beat again until blended. Add more milk only if the batter seems too thick.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Pour batter into large-size greased muffin cups, about 2/3 full.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until tops are golden and springy.