Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002. I copied this recipe in here because the original site does not offer the calorie count I am looking to know about the recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/baked-jalapeno-poppers-recipe/index.html After fiddling with the recipe in this format, I have made a few modifications to make it a lower calorie recipe. First, no eggs, no milk, no flour, and only 1/4 cup of bread crumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a bowl, cream together the cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, cumin, and cayenne.
- In a shallow dish, combine the panko crumbs and 4 teaspoons of Essence. Spread 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture into the middle of each jalapeno half.
- One at a time, dredge in the panko crumbs, pressing to coat. You are only trying to cover the cheese, leave the peppers bare. If necessary, repeat the process.
- Place the coated peppers, cut side up, on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the filling is runny and the crust is golden, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with cold beer.
What a great football watching snack! With the added bonus that it is made lighter. I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and 2 % monterrey jack. Turned out wonderful! Thanks for sharing.