Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are so airy, and so good. I got this recipe fro my MIL and she is a great cook.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin, unspiced
- 1⁄2 cup all vegetable solid shortening
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 -3 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven 375.
- In a large bowl, mix in low speed the following until creamed.
- granulated sugar,pumpkin,shortening,1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Slowly mix in by hand your, flour,salt,baking powder,baking soda,cinnamon.Once well mixed. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 375 for 8-15 minutes (keep checking,since time will vary depending on cookie size)Look for a light golden brown.
- Take out and let rest at room temperature til cooled.Then frost, recipe follows.
- In a med size saucepan brown 1/4 cup butter.Take off heat mix in 1 teaspoon vanilla,powdered sugar,and thin out with milk.You can now frost immediately.
These cookies were AWESOME! My husband asks me over and over when I will be making them again! I used margarine as I didn't have unsalted butter but they were still great!
These cookies were light and airy as described. They had a pretty good flavor, although my personal taste would have allowed for more pumpkin flavor.