Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
All I can say is Yummy! This cake is sponge-like, but moist. You can put almost any frosting/filling with it- Cream cheese frosting, butter cream, chocolate frosting and it all tastes wonderful. Adults as well as kids love this one. I've had this one for years.
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk (buttermilk is preferred)
- 4 stiffly beaten egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350* Grease and flour two 9" layer cake pans or 10" tube pan.
- Cream butter with sugar.
- Add yolks and beat.
- Add mashed bananas and pecans.
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Combine with creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Fold in beaten whites.
- Add soda dissolved in water and then vanilla.
- Bake for 25 to 30 min.
- Cool and frost with Pecan Frosting or frosting of your choice.
Excellent recipe. Super easy. Very light and fluffy. I used 2 bananas to get 1 cup mashed. I also used regular all-purpose flour and left out the pecans. I made cupcakes and topped them with cream cheese frosting. Made 24 cupcakes which took 15-16 minutes at 350. These are better than the banana cupcakes at Sprinkles and on par with the ones at my favorite local cupcake store. Will definitely be making again and sharing with friends and family!!
I just discovered the best thing about this recipe. It can very easily be halved or even quartered to make 12 or 6 cupcakes. Amazing!! Love it and love how easy making six cupcakes was... no tricky cutting an egg in half. Really straight-forward.
Great!! Easy and delicious. It took 2 bananas and regular flour as well. Plus, no need so much sugar, as there is plenty of it from the bananas. So just 1/4 of cup of sugar or even 2 big spoon of honey and it is so tasty
Really good cake. I am not a big fan of pecans so I added walnuts instead. I used milk instead of the recommended buttermilk and used a different frosting (Yummy caramel frosting, #21896) Wonderful flavor to the cake, and nice soft texture. I am going to be making this again...and again!