1/2 Photos of Light As a Feather Cake
1 hr 5 mins
My mom cut this recipe out from the Honolulu Star Bulletin in the early 70's. It was our family's absolute favorite cake - a moist, lemony chiffon that always came out perfect. Then she misplaced the recipe sometime in the 90's and I thought it was lost forever. In a bit of serendipity, my best friend from elementary school got my address a couple of months ago and we started corresponding. I mentioned the recipe to her (even she remembered the cake after all these years!) and lamented that I doubted I'd ever find it again. Well, guess what? My mom had given her mom the recipe when we were kids, and she still had it! I was so happy I could have hugged my friend - if she didn't live 2000 miles away! I'm posting this here so I'll never, ever lose it again. Note: Thanks to **Tinkerbell** for reminding me that the cake needs to cool upside down so it stays tall and fluffy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Separate eggs, placing whites in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle cream of tartar on egg whites and beat on high until soft peaks form.
- 2Slowly add in 1/2 cup of the sugar until whites are stiff but not dry.
- 3In a medium sized bowl, sift flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together.
- 4Make a well in the sifted ingredients and add oil, egg yolks, water, and extract. Beat until smooth.
- 5Fold egg yolk mixture gradually into beaten egg whites. Pour batter into ungreased angel food cake pan.
- 6Bake at 350F for 45 min or until cake is golden and springs back when touched.with a finger. Cool upside down by balancing the inside ring of the pan on a bottle or funnel (if your pan doesn't have cooling legs).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light As a Feather Cake
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.2
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 158.6 mg
- Sodium 240.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 25.3 g
- Protein 6.1 g