Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I've been making this super moist bread for 14 years. My son used to enjoy this spread with peanut butter almost every day of his toddler years! Beating the egg whites separately and baking at a lower temperature give this bread a spongy texture that's "light as a feather."
- Mash bananas (I like to puree mine).
- Cream shortening, sugar and egg yolks and add to bananas.
- Add soda dissolved in hot water.
- Add nuts, vanilla and banana extracts.
- Sift flour and salt together and add to mixture.
- Fold in beaten egg whites(stiff).
- Put in greased 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Makes one large loaf.
After reading your review on my Old Fashioned Banana Muffins I just had to give your Banana Bread recipe a try. I am sure you are right about beating those egg whites! I made as posted adding chopped pecans and using both the vanilla and the banana extract. A wonderful Banana loaf and one I know will be a hit at the bake sales and coffee hour. Thank you Roxygirl for another of your recipes that we all enjoyed.
This banana bread does have a very light texture and delicate flavor. I used three very ripe bananas for this bread and added some chopped pecans for added texture and flavor. It turned out beautifully in exactly 55 minutes. Thank you, Roxygirl in Colorado : )