I had found a recipe for an apple custard pie with an oatmeal crust, which was my inspiration for this recipe. I omitted the crust and topping, and lightened up the filling. EDIT: Revised on 1-19-14 to add the step of parboiling the apples, because they tended to come out tough when placed in the oven raw.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- 2Peel and core the apples and cut into eighths, then slice into ¼ inch pieces.
- 3Steam the apples for about 8-10 minutes til almost tender.
- 4Spray an 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- 5Arrange the apple wedges on the bottom of the pan.
- 6Beat together eggs and sugar.
- 7Beat in the almond milk until smooth. Add vanilla (if using).
- 8Add spices, beat to combine.
- 9Pour the filling over the apples. Rearrange the apple pieces slightly, if necessary, for maximum coverage with the custard.
- 10Dot with bits of butter or coconut oil.
- 11Bake about 20 minutes or until the filling is set.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light Apple Custard (Low Sugar)
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.2
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 100.6 mg
- Sodium 62.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 22.1 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: