Recipe by coconutty
I had found a recipe for an apple custard pie with an oatmeal crust, which was my inspiration for this recipe. I omitted the crust and topping, and lightened up the filling. EDIT: Revised on 1-19-14 to add the step of parboiling the apples, because they tended to come out tough when placed in the oven raw.
- 3 medium apples
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup almond milk
- 3 drops vanilla extract (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into eighths, then slice into ¼ inch pieces.
- Steam the apples for about 8-10 minutes til almost tender.
- Spray an 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange the apple wedges on the bottom of the pan.
- Beat together eggs and sugar.
- Beat in the almond milk until smooth. Add vanilla (if using).
- Add spices, beat to combine.
- Pour the filling over the apples. Rearrange the apple pieces slightly, if necessary, for maximum coverage with the custard.
- Dot with bits of butter or coconut oil.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until the filling is set.