Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Recipe request. Have not tried.
- 4 apples, peeled and slice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon frozen apple juice concentrate, undiluted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup apple juice
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 5 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- Spray ring mold or fluted tube pan with nonstick vegetable coating.
- Place apples in large bowl.
- In separate bowl, combine 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate and cinnamon.
- Pour over sliced apples and stir until apples are evenly covered.
- Set aside.
- In separate bowl, mix together flours, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in oil, 1 cup apple juice concentrate, vanilla, egg, egg whites and orange juice.
- Pour half of batter into prepared mold.
- Layer half of apple mixture over batter then repeat with remaining batter and apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, remove from oven.
- Allow to cool before removing from pan.
Made this using Fuji apples (though another time I might try Granny Smiths) along with unfiltered apple juice & a homemade applesauce! And the finished cake? ~ Right-on WONDERFUL! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC tag]