Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A goody from Better Homes and Gardens: Family Favorites Made Lighter.
- 1 (12 ounce) flank steaks or 1 (12 ounce) london broil beef
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 tiny new potatoes, halved
- 2 small leeks
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium green bell pepper, quartered
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Score meat.
- Do this by making shallow cuts 1 inch apart into the steak diagonally to make a diamond pattern.
- Do on both sides.
- Put meat in a large plastic bag.
- Mix vinegar or lemon juice, oil, garlic salt, pepper, and 3 tablespoons water.
- Pour over meat in bag.
- Seal and toss to coak the steak.
- Marinate on counter for one hour or in refrigerator for up to 24 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
- Remove meat from bag and reserve marinade.
- In a covered pan cook potatoes and leeks in about 1 cup of boiling water for 10 minutes or until almost tender.
- Drain well and halve leeks legnthwise.
- Set aside.
- Spray a broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place meat, potatoes (cut side up), and bell pepper on the pan.
- Brush all lightly with reserved marinade.
- Broil 3 inches from heat for about 6-8 minutes.
- Turn meat and peppers, add leeks.
- Broil meat to desired doneness (5-6 minutes for rare, 7-8 minutes for medium-rare).
- Turn veggies occasionally.
- To serve, slice meat thinly across the grain and serve with grilled vegetables and cherry tomatoes.