I got this recipe from a neighbor-lady when I was a young farm wife on the plains of Kansas. It has never failed me, and is still one of my most requested recipes. I usually double it, and even triple it for big family breakfasts. I mix mine in a big wooden bowl.
- Heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and the salt.
- Cut in the shortening until coarse.
- Add milk. Blend lightly until moistened and it pulls away from the bowl.
- Knead for a minute or so until the dough is soft and looks a little like bread dough. Let it rest for a few minutes.
- Roll out on a floured surface to about 3/4 inch thick (or thicker if you like).
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes.