Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Red apple adds color and punch to this tangy cole slaw. It is so light and refreshing compared to the heavy mayo cole slaws. Also has less sugar since it has the natural sugars of the apples. With a bit of pepper sauce it makes a fun, festive side to ribs, fish or chicken.
- 1 (16 ounce) bagshredded coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrot)
- 1 apple, cored and diced with peeling on (tart variety such as honey crisp, granny smith)
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar or 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Combine shredded cabbage and diced apples in bowl.
- Separately mix the rest of the ingredients in a cup and adjust spice or salt to taste.
- Pour liquids over cabbage and stir.
- Cover with lid and store in fridge for 1-4 hours prior to serving, stirring occasionally (or just flip the bowl upside down to mix).